Hall and Oates was a white hot hit machine when they decided to release this live album. They had just had some nice success with their Rock and Soul Pt. 1 greatest hits album and its follow-up, Big Bam Boom.
They brought some friends along to help make it a success, not just any friends either. They being, the Temptation’s Eddie Kendricks and David Ruffin.
Hall and Oates put them to good use as well as the album kicks off with a spectacular medley that includes soul classics such as “Get Ready/Ain’t Too Proud To Beg/The Way You Do the Things You Do/My Girl.” I couldn’t find a full video for this but make sure you give it a listen from the “Cool Album of the Day” MySpace Page. It’s all there!
Daryl Hall then takes over the lead as he gives a fine rendition of the Isaac Hayes classic, “When Something is Wrong With My Baby.” Yes, you know that song. It’s been covered by many including, Linda Ronstadt, Aaron Neville and even Travis Tritt.
Daryl Hall was also hot during this period as a songwriter. Paul Young had a hit with Hall’s, “Every time You Go Away.” Of course, during the intro, he makes sure you know that “This is the Original.” You can see that one on the video playlist below.
They finish up with some of their own hits. Not too shabby when you can string together tracks like, “I Can’t Go For That, One on One, Possession Obsession” and “Adult Education.”
I think it’s interesting to look at Hall and Oates career. I remember a period when they were looked at as ‘uncool’ and shallow hit-makers, but along the way that really changed. That started getting a ton of recognition as more and more people saw that this was a very talented act. Not only was Daryl Hall now getting recognized as a world class singer, but their band was also catching people’s eyes. G.E. Smith and the late T-Bone Wolk were long time members of the Saturday Night Live band. I have a ton of musician friends that think the world of Hall and Oates.
Have you seen Daryl’s Live From Daryl’s House Webcast series? It’s spectacular. Each month, a different music guest sits in with Daryl and his band at yes, Daryl’s House. Guests have included people like Todd Rundgren, Guster, Dave Stewart, Train, the Plain White T’s and more. Check it out.
- “Apollo Medley: Get Ready/Ain’t Too Proud To Beg/The Way You Do the Things You Do/My Girl” (Eddie Holland, Smokey Robinson, Robert Rogers, Ronald White, Norman Whitfield) 12:49
- “When Something Is Wrong with My Baby” (Isaac Hayes, David Porter) 4:44
- “Everytime You Go Away” (Hall, Oates) 7:07
- “I Can’t Go for That (No Can Do)” (Sara Allen, Hall, Oates) 7:58
- “One on One” (Hall) 5:50
- “Possession Obsession” (S. Allen, Hall, Oates) 5:54
- “Adult Education” (S. Allen, Hall, Oates) 6:34
- Daryl Hall – vocals, guitar, keyboards
- John Oates – vocals, guitar
- David Ruffin, Eddie Kendricks – vocals
- G.E. Smith – guitar
- Lenny Pickett – tenor saxophone
- Steve Elson – baritone saxophone
- Charlie DeChant – saxophone, keyboards, background vocals
- Mac Gollehon, “Hollywood” Paul Litteral – trumpet
- Ray Anderson – trombone
- Michael Klvana, Robby Kilgore – keyboards
- Wells Christie – keyboards, Synclavier
- Tom “T-Bone” Wolk – bass, background vocals
- Mickey Curry – drums
- Jimmy Maelen – percussion
- See write ups for more live albums we’ve featured
- Listen to Live at the Apollo via the Cool Album MySpace Page
- Visit Live From Daryl’s House