David’s concept for the CD was to ask a wide variety of singer-songwriters and musicians to write (or choose), produce, and perform on songs showcasing his versatility as a multi-instrumentalist and vocalist.
Answering his call were some of the greatest talents in contemporary music: Dr. John, spreading New Orleans “fonk”; Los Lobos (with a Mexican-flavored waltz); country music’s Vince Gill and bluegrass’s Tim O’Brien; Linda Ronstadt, making a rare appearance (on a Brook Benton ballad); Levon Helm (playing on two chunks of Woodstock blues and goodtime music), Southern jam band Widespread Panic, contemporary roots singer-songwriter John Hiatt; and bluesman Keb’ Mo’.
With rare exception, David supplies the lead electric or acoustic guitar on every track, and his “rippling Fred Neil-like baritone” (Rolling Stone) voice conveys passion, experience, humor, and confidence in every musical setting.
From Appleseed Recordings
- Tongue – with Levon Helm
- Ride On Out a Ways – with John Hiatt
- Bring It With You When You Come – with Levon Helm
- Blue is Fallin’ – with Tim O’Brien
- You Don’t Wanna’ Make Me Mad – with Dr. John
- Diggin’ in the Deep Blue Sea – with Keb’ Mo’.
- The Long Goodbye – with Los Lobos
- Old Neighborhood — with Widespread Panic.
- It’s Just a Matter of Time – with Linda Ronstadt
- Lookout Mountain Girl – with Vince Gill.
- Use Me – produced by The Butcher Bros.