Today’s Cool Album of the Day (#465 in the Series) is The Edgar Winter Group, They Only Come Out at Night.
This was a pretty big deal when I was in 8th grade. I always remember walking across the street because my friend Joe Moncada bought a couple new albums. To this day I remember it was this and Curtis Mayfield, Super Fly.
They Only Come Out at Night was a HUGE album for Edgar Winter and his band in 1972.
It contained two well known songs. They were the instrumental “Frankenstein” and “Free Ride.”
Rick Derringer had a well known solo career punctuated by the hit, “Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo.” Hoochie Koo hit #1 the next year and featured Edgar on keyboards. (Not to mention it also had Joe Walsh on guitar and Joe Vitale on drums.)
Ronnie Montrose would of course, start the band Montrose with then named, Sam Hagar as his front man. He then would start performing under his name Ronnie Montrose. This is where we first saw drummer Steve Smith.
Dan Hartman was quite the different story. He went into the disco world and did quite well for him self. He had a big hit in 1978 with a song called “Instant Replay.” (It sucked)
But his biggest hit would be in 1984 song called “I Can Dream About You.” It hit to #6 on the Billboard Singles Chart. It was featured in the film Streets of Fire. (It actually didn’t suck.)
They Only Come Out at Night was produced by Rick Derringer and also was featured a young up and coming technical director named Bill Szymczyk. He went on to produce such acts like The Eagles, James Gang and The Who.
They Only Come Out at Night peaked at #3 on the Billboard Album chart.
“Frankenstein” was a #1 hit. (One of few instrumental #1 hits.)
“Free Ride” peaked at #14 (One of many songs with vocal to peak at #14)
- Johnny Badanjek – drums
- Rick Derringer – producer, bass, guitar, pedal steel, vocals, claves
- Dan Hartman – guitar, bass, percussion, maracas, ukulele, vocals
- Randy Jo Hobbs – bass
- Ronnie Montrose – guitar, mandolin
- Steve Paul – organic director
- Chuck Ruff – conga, drums, vocals
- Bill Szymczyk – technical director
- Edgar Winter – organ, synthesizer, ARP 2600, piano, marimba, saxophone, timbales, vocals, clavinet, birliner notes
- “Hangin’ Around” (Edgar Winter, Dan Hartman) – 3:02
- “When It Comes” (Winter, Hartman) – 3:16
- “Alta Mira” (Winter, Hartman) – 3:18
- “Free Ride” (Hartman) – 3:08
- “Undercover Man” (Winter, Hartman) – 3:49
- “Round & Round” (Winter) – 4:00
- “Rock ‘N’ Roll Boogie Woogie Blues” (Winter, Barbara Winter, Ronnie Montrose) – 3:25
- “Autumn” (Hartman) – 3:00
- “We All Had A Real Good Time” (Winter, Hartman) – 3:05
- “Frankenstein” (Winter) – 4:44