See The Light was the break through album by Canadian Blues guitarist Jeff Healey. It was released in 1988. It was steep in Blues-Rock but actually featured a hit that was John Hiatt (with help from Fred Koller) penned ballad, Angel Eyes.
Angel Eyes wasn’t the only Hiatt tune on the disc. Healey does a killer job on Confidence Man. Some other Highlights include the title Cut, See the Light plus My Little Girl, Hideaway and Someday, Someway. Jeff also does a wonderful version of ZZ Top’s, Blue Jean Blues.
See the Light was produced by the great team of Greg Ladanyi and Jimmy Iovine. We just heard from them when we recently wrote about The Church, Starfish.
Starfish peaked at #22 on the Billboard Top 200 Album Chart.
Angel Eyes reached #5 on the Billboard Hot 100 Singles Chart.
Jeff Healey lost his battle with cancer on March 2nd, 2008 in his hometown of Toronto, Canada. He battled cancer nearly all his life. Besides guitar he was also a great trumpeter and could really play some old time jazz.
I was lucky enough to see him in concert and meet him at the Park West Theater in Chicago shortly after this album was released
Check out the videos below. I attached the original promo videos for Angel Eyes and Confidence Man. They followed by some smokin’ live videos of Jeff and his band playing the title track, See the Light followed by Spirit’s Got a Line on You:; The Doors, Road House Blues; Bob Dylan (via Hendrix) All Along The Watchtower; Cream’s White Room and The Beatles, While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Dig it!
- “Confidence Man” (John Hiatt) — 3:12
- “My Little Girl” (Jeff Healey) — 3:10
- “River of No Return” (Keith Reid, Jon Tiven, Sally Tiven) — 3:31
- “Don’t Let Your Chance Go By” (Healey) — 3:20
- “Angel Eyes” (Hiatt, Fred Koller) — 4:40
- “Nice Problem to Have” (Robbie Blunt, Jeff Healey Band) — 4:50
- “Someday, Someway” (Martin Briley, Danny Tate) — 3:28
- “I Need to Be Loved” (Healey) — 3:43
- “Blue Jean Blues” (Frank Beard, Billy Gibbons, Dusty Hill) — 5:39
- “That’s What They Say” (Healey) — 4:27
- “Hide Away” (Freddie King, Sonny Thompson) — 4:26
- “See the Light” (Healey) — 4:26
- Robbie Blunt: Guitars
- Bobbye Hall: Percussion
- Jeff Healey: Guitars, Harmonica, Lead Vocals
- Kipp Lennon, Mark Lennon, Michael Lennon, Pat Lennon, Marilyn Martin, Timothy B. Schmit: Additional Backing Vocals
- Joe Rockman: Bass, Backing Vocals
- Tom Stephen: Drums, Percussion
- Benmont Tench: Keyboards