He said, “You’re not a house-hold name until my Mother knows who you are.”
I love that quote! It’s pretty true.
Jeff Beck really was a ‘known’ guitarist after playing in the Yardbirds. He also had released a few nice solo albums under the Jeff Beck Group banner. His work with ‘Beck, Bogert and Appice’ was also received very well.
Next up was his great album, Blow By Blow. This didn’t make him a household name according to the above quotes definition. That spot was reserved only for Sergio Franchi and Mario Lanza! But it got Jeff Beck as close as you could.
The single that put this album over the top was of course, Freeway Jam.
Blow by Blow was produced by long-time Beatles producer George Martin. Jeff covers The Beatles’ ‘She’s a Woman’ here. I wonder whose idea that was.
‘Scatterbrain’ was another great track worth mentioning. There are many more to choose from.
Blow By Blow peaked at #4 on the Billboard Top 200 Album Chart.
I’m guessing that many of you reading this added to those sales.
Jeff Beck was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2009.
Oh, By the way. That quote. It was Jay Leno. I guess you have to give credit where it’s due.
- “You Know What I Mean” (Jeff Beck, Max Middleton) – 4:05
- “She’s a Woman” (John Lennon, Paul McCartney) – 4:31
- “Constipated Duck” (Beck) – 2:48
- “Air Blower” (Beck, Phil Chen, Middleton, Richard Bailey) – 5:09
- “Scatterbrain” (Beck, Middleton) – 5:39
- “Cause We’ve Ended as Lovers” (Stevie Wonder) – 5:52
- “Thelonius” (Stevie Wonder) – 3:16
- “Freeway Jam” (Middleton) – 4:58
- “Diamond Dust” (Bernie Holland) – 8:26
- Jeff Beck – Guitar, Bass
- Max Middleton – Keyboards
- Stevie Wonder – Keyboards (un-credited in 2001 CD liner notes)
- Phil Chen – Bass
- Richard Bailey – Drums, Percussion
BONUS VIDEO: Jeff Beck plays The Beatles ‘Day In A Life.’