White City was one of my favorite Pete Townsend projects. It told the story of about a low income area near West London of White City. It lets us see into all the expected trappings that one would find there. Prostitution, drugs, racial issues etc.
David Gilmour added some wonderful guitar work to the track he co-wrote with Pete. It’s called ‘White City Fighting.’
There was a 60 minute companion movie released that stared Townsend. There was also a fantastic concert video released for the tour. There were two versions. A shorter, 60 minute version that was hit slanted and another 90 minute that captured the complete concert. Simon Phillips was on drums, David Gilmour on guitar. It featured some great versions of ‘Barefootin’ and the English Beat’s ‘Save it For Later.’
- White City A Novel, peaked at #26 on the Billboard Top 200 Album chart.
- ‘Face to Face’ peaked at #26 also, but on the Billboard Hot 100 Singles chart.
- Pete Townshend was inducted into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of The Who in 1990.
- “Give Blood”
- “Brilliant Blues”
- “Face the Face”
- “Hiding Out”
- “Secondhand Love”
- “Crashing By Design”
- “I Am Secure”
- “White City Fighting”
- “Come to Mama”
- Pete Townshend – vocals, guitar
- Steve Barnacle – bass guitar
- Mark Brzezicki – drums
- John “Rabbit” Bundrick – keyboards
- Clem Burke – drums
- Tony Butler – bass guitar
- Phil Chen – bass guitar
- David Gilmour – guitar
- Peter Hope-Evans – harmonica
- Kick Horns: Simon Clarke, Roddy Lorimer, Tim Sanders, Peter Thoms
- Chucho Merchan – bass guitar
- Pino Palladino – bass guitar
- Simon Phillips – drums
- Ewan Stewart – voice (spoken word)
- Jackie Challenor, Mae McKenna, Lorenza Johnson, Emma Townshend – backing vocals
Bonus Video Just for Fun!