Today’s Cool Album of the Day is Tom Waits, “Blue Valentine.”
What a piece of music this one is. I just love Tom Waits. This is yet another example of the album I love is the tour I saw.
I can’t remember the name of the place. But there was a little roadhouse between Merrillville + Valparaiso, Indiana where I saw this tour. It had to be in 1978 or ‘79. The opening act was Leon Redbone who had laryngitis that night and did everything instrumental. He then held up a ‘thank you’ sign after every song.
TW does an amazing version of ‘Somewhere” from West Side Story as an opening number on this album. It’s truly a remarkable version.
Other highlights include ‘Red Shoes By the Drugstore, Whistlin’ by the Graveyard, Romeo is Bleeding, $29’ and of course, ‘Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis.’
His concert from this tour was just as strong. It’s hard to remember much of it. I do know that he opened the show leaning against a gas pump smoking a cigarette. I’ve actually seen this tour on Austin City Limits if you can catch it.
- “Somewhere” (From West Side Story)
- “Red Shoes by the Drugstore”
- “Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis”
- “Romeo Is Bleeding”
- “Wrong Side of the Road” 5:14
- “Whistlin’ Past the Graveyard” 3:17
- “Kentucky Avenue” 4:49
- “A Sweet Little Bullet from a Pretty Blue Gun” 5:36
- “Blue Valentines”
- Vocals - Tom Waits
- Electric Guitar – Tom Waits, Ray Crawford, Roland Bautista, Alvin “Shine” Robinson
- Bass – Scott Edwards, Jim Hughart, Byron Miller
- Piano – Da Willie Gonga (George Duke), Harold Battiste, Tom Waits
- Organ – Charles Kynard
- Tenor Saxophone – Herbert Hardesty, Frank Vicari
- Drums – Rick Lawson, Earl Palmer, Chip White
- Congas – Bobbye Hall Porter “Romeo Is Bleeding”
- Orchestra - Bob Alcivar
This Playlist has the complete album