Yellow Moon was the sixth album and fifth studio album by the New Orleans based Neville Brothers. The Neville Brothers were indeed four brothers, Aaron, Art, Charles and Cyril.
It was released in 1989 and peaked at #66 on the Billboard Top 200 Album Chart.
The song “Healing Chant” won the band a Grammy Award for Best Pop Instrumental Performance.
The title cut, “Yellow Moon” received the most airplay. The band did some interesting covers on this album. They included songs by Bob Dylan “With God on Our Side” and “The Ballad of Hollis Brown,” Link Wray “Fire and Brimstone” and Sam Cooke “A Change is Gonna Come.” There is also a great version of the Carter Family’s, “Will the Circle Be Unbroken.”
Yellow Moon was also known for some of the great guest musicians. Daniel Lanois (bass and also producer), Brian Eno (keyboards) and The Dirty Dozen Brass Band (Horns) all appeared.
Also notable was the cover art. It was an original piece by Chicago based artist Tony Fitzpatrick. View Tony’s Website.
- “My Blood” (Darryl Johnson, Cyril Neville, Willie Green, Charles Moore) – 4:11
- “Yellow Moon” (Aaron Neville) – 4:04
- “Fire and Brimstone” (Link Wray) – 3:57
- “A Change Is Gonna Come” (Sam Cooke) – 3:43
- “Sister Rosa” (Darryl Johnson, Cyril Neville, Charles Moore) – 3:29
- “With God on Our Side” (Bob Dylan) – 6:37
- “Wake Up” (Cyril Neville, Brian Stoltz, Willie Green) – 3:21
- “Voodoo” (Aaron Neville, Darryl Johnson, Cyril Neville, Brian Stoltz, Willie Green) – 4:26
- “The Ballad of Hollis Brown” (Bob Dylan) – 5:45
- “Will the Circle Be Unbroken” (A. P. Carter) – 5:16
- “Healing Chant” (Aaron Neville, Austin Hall, Cyril Neville, Brian Stoltz, Willie Green) – 4:34
- “Wild Injuns” (Aaron Neville, Austin Hall, Cyril Neville, Brian Stoltz, Willie Green) – 3:17
- Aaron Neville – vocals, keyboards, percussion
- Art Neville – vocals, keyboards
- Charles Neville – saxophones, percussion, backing vocals
- Cyril Neville – vocals, hand drums, percussion
- Brian Stoltz – guitar
- Tony Hall – bass, percussion, backing vocals
- Willie Green – drums
- Brian Eno – keyboards, sound effects, vocals on “A Change Is Gonna Come”
- Daniel Lanois – guitar, keyboards, backing vocals
- Malcolm Burn – keyboards, guitar
- The Dirty Dozen Brass Band – horns
- Eric Kolb – keyboard programming
- Kenyatta Simon and Kufaru Mouton – percussion on “My Blood”
- Aashid Himmons and Terry Manual – keyboards on “Sista Rosa”
Listen to it below…