Today’s Cool Album Of the Day (#278 in the Series) is Average White Band, AWB.
The Average White Band, what a perfect mix of soul, funk, R + B, rock with just enough jazz tossed in. All of this from a band from………Scotland!?
Yeah, many people have forgotten that fact over the years, but yes indeed. Founding members Alan Gorrie and Onnie McIntyre are from Dundee. As were the other original members, Malcolm “Molly” Duncan, Roger Ball and Robbie McIntosh. Hamish Stuart was from Glasgow, he would play a major role with Paul McCartney in later years.
Do not confuse this Robbie McIntosh with the man with the same name who was a long time ‘Pretender.’ Same name, different person.
Odds and Ends
AWB reached #1 on the Billboard Top 200 Album chart.
“Pickin’ Up the Pieces” was also a #1, this on the Hot 100 Singles chart. It replaced Linda Rondstadt’s “You’re No Good” in taking the top spot.
Speaking of #1 hits, here’s bit of trivia for you. McIntire and McIntosh were session musicians on Chuck Berry’s only #1 hit. That of course being, yup, ‘My Ding-a Ling’
The second single, “Work to Do” was an Isley Brothers remake.
AWB also featured brass work by the great ‘Brecker Brothers.’
- “You Got It” (Roger Ball, Alan Gorrie, Hamish Stuart) – 3:36
- “Got the Love” (Roger Ball, Robbie McIntosh, Hamish Stuart) – 3:52
- “Pick Up the Pieces” (Average White Band, Roger Ball, Hamish Stuart) – 3:59
- “Person to Person” (Average White Band, Alan Gorrie, Hamish Stuart) – 3:39
- “Work to Do” (O’Kelly Isley, Ronald Isley, Rudolph Isley) – 4:25
- “Nothing You Can Do” (Alan Gorrie, Roger Ball, Hamish Stuart) – 4:08
- “Just Wanna Love You Tonight” (Roger Ball, Alan Gorrie) – 3:58
- “Keepin’ It to Myself” (Alan Gorrie) – 4:01
- “I Just Can’t Give You Up” (Hamish Stuart) – 3:30
- “There’s Always Someone Waiting” (Alan Gorrie) – 5:35
Average White Band
- Alan Gorrie – lead and background vocals, bass, guitar (on “You Got It”)
- Hamish Stuart – lead and background vocals, lead guitar, bass (on “You Got It”)
- Roger Ball – keyboards, alto & baritone saxophones, arranger (horns)
- Malcolm Duncan – tenor saxophone
- Onnie McIntyre – guitar, background vocals
- Robbie McIntosh – drums, percussion
- Ralph MacDonald – congas, percussion
- Michael Brecker – tenor sax
- Randy Brecker – trumpet
- Marvin Stamm – trumpet
- Mel Davis – trumpet
- Glenn Ferris – trombone
- Ken Bichel – mellotron (on “Just Wanna Love You Tonight”)
GIVE IT A LISTEN BELOW