Today’s Cool Album of the Day (#889 in the Series) is Diana Krall, Live in Paris
Diana Krall was another one of those artists that I knew more ‘of’ than actually knew. I couldn’t tell you anything that she had done. I’d see her listed as being on different shows etc. I had a little interest. Some of it also generated from being familiar with her superstar husband, Elvis Costello. I wonder if she’s ever worn his red shoes?
So one day I’m surfing thru the television
channels when I see her sitting at her piano singing this marvelous song. “OK’ I said, this sounds pretty good’ Maybe I’ll watch a song or two.”
Well, about 80 minutes later I realized I had watched the full concert! The day’s schedule be damned! I just could not turn it off. I had to get the album that went along with it.
Diana cover some of the great standards of American music, George Gershwin and Ira Gershwin’s “S’Wonderful,” Burt Bacharach/Hal David’s “The Look of Love,” Cole Porters, “I’ve Got You Under My Skin” along with “Deed I Do” and “Fly Me to the Moon.”
As one’s deserved popularity rises, so does one’s ability to recruit A-list band mates. I’m referring to the likes of guitarist Anthony Wilson, bassist John Clayton, percussion wiz, Paulinho Da Costa,drummer Jeff Hamilton, tenor saxist Michael Brecker and conductor Alan Broadbent.
I was able to generate a playlist of nearly the entire album. If you’re not familiar with Diana then give it a chance. It’s very good music. And It makes you feel a little more sophisticated as well!!
Diana Krall, Live in Paris peaked at #18 on the Billboard Top 200 Album chart. It was #1 on the Jazz chart.
It won a Grammy for Best Jazz Vocal album.
- “I Love Being Here With You” (Peggy Lee, William Schluger) – 5:12
- “Let’s Fall in Love” (Harold Arlen, Ted Koehler) – 4:34
- “‘Deed I Do” (Walter Hirsch, Fred Rose) – 5:17
- “The Look of Love” (Burt Bacharach, Hal David) – 5:00
- “East of the Sun (and West of the Moon)” (Brooks Bowman) – 5:58
- “I’ve Got You Under My Skin” (Cole Porter) – 7:24
- “Devil May Care” (Bob Dorough, Terrell Kirk) – 6:52
- “Maybe You’ll Be There” (Rube Bloom, Sammy Gallop) – 5:47
- “‘S Wonderful” (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) – 5:59
- “Fly Me to the Moon” (Bart Howard) – 6:05
- “A Case of You” (Joni Mitchell) – 7:04
- “Just the Way You Are” (Billy Joel) – 5:00 (Bonus track standard edition)
- “Charmed Life” – 2:48 (Bonus track on Canadian exclusive release)
- Diana Krall – piano, vocals
- Michael Brecker – tenor saxophone
- Alan Broadbent – conductor
- John Clayton – bass
- Paulinho Da Costa – percussion
- Jeff Hamilton – drums
- Christian McBride – bass
- Rob Mounsey – keyboard
- Lewis Nash – drums
- John Pisano – acoustic guitar
- Luis Quintero – percussion
- Anthony Wilson – guitar