OK, why, for the first time have we used parenthesis in one of our headlines? Well, because The (English) Beat has two names. I don’t think I’m breaking news here. It has been well documented that this band’s real name is The Beat. American musician Paul Collins already had a successful band here called The Beat. So that’s why we know them Stateside as The English Beat. Oh, and If you were wondering, Paul Collins band is known as The Paul Collins Beat overseas. That is, if they’re still known at all.
The names, however were not the only difference between how the new continents looked at The English Beat. Their career was viewed completely differently in the two locations.
They released three albums back in the 80s. This album, I Just Can’t Stop it, Wha’ppen and Special Beat Service. In the UK, the first two albums were huge! They both hit #3 on the charts. The third album was not well received at all. (Don’t get me wrong. It wasn’t a flop. It just didn’t come close to matching the first two.)
Make sure you check out the two playlists below! I have the entire I just Can’t Stop It in the first playlist below. The second playlist contains great live versions of the album and also other favorites.
One last note. Oddly enough, the names and all of the confusion surrounding them still hasn’t stopped! We now have two versions of the band. Ranking Roger has The Beat. They tour Europe while here in the States, Dave Wakeling tours with his version of The English Beat. And I’m not even going to get into General Public and Fine Young Cannibals!!!!
All songs written by The Beat, unless otherwise noted.
- “Mirror in the Bathroom” – 3:10
- “Hands Off…She’s Mine” – 3:01
- “Two Swords” – 2:19
- “Twist & Crawl” – 2:35
- “Tears of a Clown” (Hank Cosby, Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder) – 2:39
- “Rough Rider” (Prince Buster, arranged & adapted by The Beat) – 4:52
- “Click Click” – 1:28
- “Ranking Full Stop” – 2:44
- “Big Shot” – 2:34
- “Whine & Grine/Stand Down Margaret” – 3:51
- “Noise in This World” – 2:19
- “Can’t Get Used to Losing You” (Mort Shuman, Doc Pomus) – 3:04
- “Best Friend” – 3:01
- “Jackpot” (George Agard, Sydney Crooks, Jackie Robinson, The Beat) – 4:19
- Dave Wakeling – guitar, vocals
- Ranking Roger – vocals
- Andy Cox – guitar
- David Steele – bass
- Everett Morton – drums
- Saxa – saxophone
- See other album from 1980 that we’ve featured.
- Official Ranking Roger Wesbsite
- Official Dave Wakeling Website
Let’s Dance Again! This time with LIVE versions!!!!